YouTube released this year’s local and global hottest trending videos, with Katy Perry’s chart-topping single “Dark Horse” settling at the number one spot for music video and Disney’s “Let It Go” sing-along leading the non-music video list in the Philippines.
The inclination of Pinoys for pop songs and hip hop beats is evident on the music videos list, which makes the sole OPM entry “Ikaw” by Yeng Constantino stand out as the only ballad tune.
Philippines: Top Trending YouTube Videos (music)
- Katy Perry - Dark Horse (Official) ft. Juicy J: Katy Perry plays Katy Pätra, a takeoff on Egyptian pharaoh Cleopatra, in the ancient Memphis, Egypt-themed music video. It received two nominations at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards for Best Female Video and Best Collaboration, and won Best Video last November 4 at the 2014 MTV Europe Music Awards.
- Jason Derulo - "Wiggle" feat. Snoop Dogg (Official HD Music Video): The popular club hit is a wiggle-inducing trap-hip hop song which peaked at the US Billboard Hot 100 at number five.
- PSY - HANGOVER feat. Snoop Dogg M/V: South Korean musician PSY is no stranger to YouTube Rewind’s top ten list, topping 2012’s list with Gangnam Style. HANGOVER was filmed in South Korea during Snoop Dogg’s visit in January 2014.
- Taylor Swift - Shake It Off: The catchy pop song debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It features several talented dancers of hip hop, ballet, jazz and cheerleading styles, and references some of the world’s most popular musicians, such as Lady Gaga and Skrillex.
- Iggy Azalea - Fancy (Explicit) ft. Charli XCX: A homage to the 90’s cult classic Clueless starring Alicia Silverstone, this music video was nominated for Video of the Year, Best Female Video, Best Pop Video and Best Art Direction at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards.
- YENG CONSTANTINO - Ikaw (Official Music Video): Pop-rocker Yeng Constantino has also been on this list before with Pag-Ibig. Now, her new romantic video features her fiance Victor Asuncion, lead vocalist of alternative rock band Indios.
- Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass: Bubblegum pop with influences from 50's retro R&B and hip hop, the song's catchy beat and lyrics were praised by critics all around. The music video features cute choreography complementing the song’s positive message on body acceptance.
- "Counting Stars" - OneRepublic (Alex Goot, Kurt Schneider, and Chrissy Costanza Cover): A collaboration between three musicians who found fame on YouTube, the music video is a cover performance of one of OneRepublic’s most successful singles.
- Chris Brown - Loyal (Explicit) ft. Lil Wayne, Tyga: Usher, Trey Songz, and Ty Dolla Sign make cameo appearances in the popular music video. The song peaked at number one in both the Official UK R&B Chart and the US Rhythmic chart.
- Nicki Minaj - Anaconda: Heavily sampling Sir Mix-a-Lot’s grammy-winning song Baby Got Back, Anaconda’s music video features a cameo appearance by rapper and labelmate Drake and a lot of twerking. The video broke Vevo’s 24-hour streaming record by accumulating 19.6 million views on its first day of release.
Music dominates even the most watched non-music video list in the Philippines. As a country with a knack for gaining international recognition for our golden voices, it’s no surprise that the sing-along version of “Let It Go” from Disney’s Frozen holds its first place. The song also makes another appearance as a cover by Sarah Geronimo as the fourth most popular non-music video.
Children’s songs and nursery rhymes make up a huge chunk of the list, suggesting that many parents turn to the video-sharing platform for educational entertainment for their kids. Unboxing Kinder Surprise Eggs is also popular, taking two places on the list featuring Play Doh and Disney.
The adorable three-year-old Chinese kid with awesome dance moves received three thumbs up from the judges of reality show Awesome Chinese which includes film actor Jet Li. The viral video takes the fifth spot on the list.
Philippines: Top Trending YouTube Videos (non-music)
Visit the YouTube Rewind channel for the videos and channels that Pinoys checked out the most.
A viral video of a dog donning a spider costume and scaring random people tickled the funny bone of global netizens and made it to the top of global trending non-music videos, along with Katy Perry’s “Dark Horse” for the music video list.
Global: Top Trending YouTube Videos (non-music)