February 27, 2012

Meryl Streep wins best actress Oscar for The Iron Lady

Meryl Streep gets her third Oscar at the 84th Academy Awards. The actress was presented the gong for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady. Thirty three years after she grasped her first gold statuette, Meryl is the record-holder with 17 acting nominations.
The Golden Lady of Hollywood earned her third honour for her performance of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady. She won a supporting actress gong in 1979 and the top award in 1982 for Kramer Vs Kramer and Sophie's Choice respectively. She had lost 12 times in a row since then.
Looking more golden lady than iron in a draped metallic gown, Meryl thanked her husband after opening with the self-deprecating statement statement. 

'When they called my name, I had this feeling I could hear half of America go, "Oh, no, why her again?" But whatever,' Streep said, laughing. 



'I really understand I'll never be up here again. I really want to think all my colleagues, my friends. I look out here and I see my life before my eyes, my old friends, my new friends." 

'Really, this is such a great honor but the think that counts the most with me is the friendship and the love and the sheer job we've shared making moves together,' said Streep.
"The Artist" was named Best Picture, Jean Dujardin Best Actor and the Best Directing gong went to Michel Hazanavicius. With awards for best score and best costume design, it was  the Franco-American film's night. The veteran actor Christopher Plummer became the Academy's oldest winner taking the Best Supporting Actor laurels for, ironically enough, film Beginners.


List of Oscars 2012 Winners: 
  Best Picture: "The Artist"
Best Actor: Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"
Best Actress: Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"
Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, The Help
Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners
Directing: Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
Cinematography: Hugo
Art Direction: Hugo
Costume Design: "The Artist"
Makeup: The Iron Lady
Foreign Language Film: A Separation, Iran.
Film Editing: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Sound Editing: Hugo
Sound Mixing: Hugo
Documentary Feature: Undefeated
Animated Feature Film: Rango
Visual Effects: Hugo
Original Score: "The Artist"
Original Song: Man or Muppet from The Muppets
Adapted Screenplay: Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, "The Descendants"
Original Screenplay: Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
Live Action Short Film: The Shore
Documentary (short subject): Saving Face
Animated Short Film: The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr Morris Lessmore


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
enjoying wonderful world