As always my priority for myself and for my family - health. Nothing is more important than your health. Even when I am younger, I always do researches and ask healthy tips from elders who are in their line of work and experiences regarding nutrition and medical work, just to give proper attention to health.
When we lost our father due to diabetes (that was 12 years ago), I've been aware to maintain healthy lifestyle, to stay away from bad food whiich will destroy our body. I have never been sick for long years. Last 2011, I have experience a brain anuerysm operation due to headaches and, as my doctor told me, due to stress. So blessed that God have given my second life after that operation day. And more blessed that I was declared fine, I have no other kind of sickness. And thank God that I am not diabetic. I am still healthy and strong, also doing diets, exercises, and workout routines. But up to now, for myself and my family, I always read healthy tips.
However, the concept of health has been defined and understood in many different ways. Recently, I was invited to join the media launch of Abbott's new program - The Glucerna 1-2-3 Challenge. So blessed to be given check-up for my blood sugar level last week. I am 100 mg/dL, it's ok, fine and normal. This is great for everyone.
First, we were given Weight and Physical Activity to do regularly, by Coach Jim Saret. He is he Sports and Fitness Science Specialist. His areas of expertise include biomechanical movement analysis, injury prevention, sports medicine, exercise physiology.
Then, a simple meal plans and healthy recipes given by Nadine Tengco, a US Certified Fitness Nutritionist-Chef and Weight Management Specialist. The Sexy Chef, her areas of expertise include fitness nutrition, weight management, exercise nutrition, naturopathic nutrition, healthy meals and menu development, and diet, exercise and wellness programs.
As the third speaker regarding the interactive tracking tools and tips of the Abbotts' new program, Dr. Roodolfo Dimaano, the Medical Director of Abbott Nutrition Philippines. He is currently the secretary and a board member of the Philippine College of Pharmaceutical Medicine.
The Glucerna® 1-2-3 Challenge provides three easy steps to enable people with diabetes in the Philippines to better understand how to take charge of managing their condition with a healthy lifestyle.
To assist over 11 million Filipinos with pre-diabetes or diabetes, Abbott is introducing The Glucerna® 1-2-3 Challenge, a free program designed to help people with diabetes implement new healthy habits and provide them with useful resources that can help make managing their diabetes with a healthy lifestyle easier.
This unique 12-week program provides online and mobile resources for people with diabetes to create a simple plan that incorporates 1) a healthy meal plan, 2) exercise, and 3) specialized nutrition such as Glucerna Triple Care. The three steps of the 1-2-3 Challenge help people with diabetes to address three important components of managing their condition – managing blood sugar response, reducing weight and waistline, and supporting heart health.
“Proper diabetes management can be overwhelming for people with diabetes, but is essential for them to maintain a healthy and active life,” said Dr. Jose Rodolfo Dimaano, Medical Director, Abbott Nutrition. “That’s why we developed the Glucerna 1-2-3 Challenge to provide people with diabetes an easy-to-use resource that helps them take charge of managing their condition and feel confident they can lead a healthier lifestyle.”
Features of the Glucerna 1-2-3 Challenge:
Located online at http://www.glucerna123challenge.com.ph or available via mobile app downloadable via Iphone® or Android phones®*, the 1-2-3 Challenge features a robust set of tools and tips to provide people with diabetes with: easy, healthy meal plans and recipes based on caloric needs and personal preferences, daily exercise plans and step-by-step instructional videos.
Glucerna serving recommendations,tracking tools and progress reports to monitor their progress that they can share with their doctors, and a loyalty program that rewards members with points so they can redeem prizes depending on the number of points accumulated such as Freestyle® Glucometer, Freestyle® glucose strips, Mercury® Drugstore Gift Certificates, Robinson’s® Gift Certificates, and a lot more.
“Little steps, such as eating right, exercising and incorporating specialized nutrition, such as Glucerna Triple Care, as part of your diabetes management plan can help you live a healthy lifestyle,” said Nadine Tengco, a US certified fitness nutritionist chef. “Lifestyle intervention is important in overall diabetes management to help reduce the risks and complications of diabetes.”
Why Proper Diabetes Management Is Important
People with diabetes are two-to-four times more likely to suffer a heart attack or stroke than people without the disease.1 Additionally, they are at risk for many health complications, such as kidney failure, blindness, lower-limb amputations and death.
These factors make proper management vitally important to people with diabetes, and maintaining healthy blood sugar levels is the first step to proper diabetes management. Additionally, managing excess weight and physical inactivity are important as they can contribute to health-related complications for people with diabetes.
The Role of Specialized Nutrition in Diabetes Management
In addition to meal and exercise plans, the 1-2-3 Challenge provides Glucerna serving recommendations, a specialized nutrition product from Abbott Nutrition that leads the world in diabetes nutrition science.
The new Glucerna Triple Care product provides a unique system of ingredients to help patients manage their blood sugar response and support heart health. Also, Glucerna Triple Care can support weight management when used as part of an overall diabetes management plan. It has been clinically proven to help manage weight and reduce A1C in conjunction with an overall diabetes management plan, including diet and exercise.
The Glucerna® 1-2-3 Challenge is a 12-week program** that was specially designed for people with diabetes to learn simple techniques to help them manage their diabetes with a healthy lifestyle. Sponsored by the makers of Glucerna, a specialized nutrition product from Abbott for people with diabetes, the 1-2-3 Challenge provides resources for people with diabetes to create a simple plan that incorporates 1) a healthy meal plan, 2) exercise, and 3) specialized nutrition products such as Glucerna. The program’s three easy steps help people with diabetes to address three important components of managing their condition – managing blood sugar response, reducing weight and waistline, and supporting heart health.
- How the 1-2-3 Challenge Works – This free 12-week program features a robust set of online tools and solutions to provide people with diabetes with easy, meal plans and recipes, daily exercise plans with step-by-step instructional videos, and guidance on how to incorporate Glucerna into their healthy diet. Additionally, the program provides tracking tools and progress reports so they can monitor their progress that they can share with their doctors.
- Why Proper Nutrition Is Important – Eating right and exercising can have an impact on the health of people with diabetes. Additionally, scientific evidence supports the use of calorie replacement, including specialized nutrition, as part of a diabetes management plan.1-2 By providing information on exercise and healthy nutrition choices, the 1-2-3 Challenge enables people with diabetes to create healthy habits that will help in :
- Managing Blood Sugar Levels – Maintaining proper blood sugar levels is the first step to proper diabetes management and reducing the risk of complications from the condition.
- Addressing Weight and Physical Activity – Excess weight and physical inactivity can contribute to health-related complications for people with diabetes.
- Supporting Heart Health – Like all individuals, people with diabetes need to maintain heart health. Further, people with diabetes are two to four times more likely to have cardiovascular disease than people without the disease.3
- Features of Glucerna Triple Care – The new Glucerna® Triple Care™ product provides a unique system of ingredients to help patients manage their blood sugar response while supporting heart health. It also can help reduce weight and waistline when used as part of an overall diabetes management plan.
- Website and Mobile App – People with diabetes can go to https://www.glucerna123challenge.com.ph to participate in the 1-2-3 Challenge. A mobile app also is available for iPhone® or Android® smart phones* for on-the-go access to the program.
- Rewards Program – To support the members of the Glucerna 123 challenge, it also has a loyalty program that rewards members with points found in every can of Glucerna Triple Care everytime they purchase. This rewards program is also extended everytime the members access the website and to update their levels of blood sugar, weight and physical activity. This promo activity was submitted and approved by FDA, per DOH-FDA permit no.1386 s.2013
For More information on the Glucerna and Glucerna 1-2-3 Challenge can be found at http://www.glucerna123challenge.com.ph or by contacting [ 02-995-1555].
About Abbott's Commitment to Diabetes Management
For more than 20 years, Abbott Nutrition has been at the forefront in developing innovative solutions to help people with diabetes better manage diabetes through advances in nutrition-based science.
In addition, Abbott Diabetes Care, based in Alameda, California, USA is a leader in developing, manufacturing and marketing glucose monitoring systems designed to help people better manage their diabetes. Additional information about Abbott Diabetes Care may be found at www.abbottdiabetescare.com.
About Abbott Nutrition
For more than 85 years, Abbott Nutrition has been developing and marketing science-based nutritional products to support the growth, health and wellness of people of all ages. Internationally recognized brands include ; the PediaSure® brand of complete and balanced nutrition for children; and the Ensure® brand of complete and balanced nutrition for adults.
The company is a leader in nutritional products clinically shown to address the distinct dietary needs of people with serious health conditions or special nutrient requirements, such as the Glucerna® brand of nutrition shakes and bars for people with diabetes.
Abbott is a global healthcare company devoted to improving life through the development of products and technologies that span the breadth of healthcare. With a portfolio of leading, science-based offerings in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott serves people in more than 150 countries and employs approximately 70,000 people.
Visit Abbott at www.abbott.com and connect with us on Twitter at @AbbottNews.
IDF: Diabetes and Cardiovascular Fact Sheet, Accessed 2 March 2012, www.idf.org/fact-sheets/diabetes-cvd
IDF: Diabetes Atlas (Fifth Edition), Accessed 2 March 2012, www.idf.org/diabetesatlas/5e/the-global-burden
Look Ahead Research Group. Arch Intern Med. 2010;170(17):1566-1575
Wadden et al. Obesity. 2009;17:713-722
*iPhone and Android are not trademarks of Abbott
a. All participants should seek the advice of their physician: (i) before participating in this program; and (ii) if they found to be suitable to the program on a continuing and regular basis during the course of the program.
b. Glucerna Triple Care is not a substitute for any existing course of treatment administered by your physician and is only meant for use under strict medical supervision as part of an overall diabetes management plan