September 23, 2022

Keeping up with Mr. Pure Energy - Gary V on his diabetes journey and living freely

Gary Valenciano
, an icon, well known as Mr. Pure Energy, shared how he manages his journey while battling diabetes for more than four decades now.

A roundtable webinar conversation was held with the Mr. Pure Energy, Gary Valenciano, regarding his new diabetes journey, shares his ways of managing the disease and he also revealed his secret weapon in fighting it.

Gary has been battling type 1 diabetes since he was 14 years old. “I was diagnosed with it. I was fourteen years old. My sugar level hit 700-something plus. At least during my time, from what I know, the normal level goes from 80 to 120. I don’t know if that has changed because a lot has changed. But, when I’m within that level, I’m fine.”

The biggest challenge for him when it comes to diabetes is “self-monitoring.” Ogie Alcasid's daughter adviced him to have of the CGM (continuous glucose monitoring) to monitor his sugar level. And that helped Gary to monitor his sugar level. Doing old methods like finger pricking and it was a relief to have continuous glucose monitoring (CGM).

"Actually, I felt like a chemist because there is no such thing as finger pricking of blood. It was actually done with a test tube, a tablet, and urine. And I would have to gather a few drops into a dropper and drop it in and I would determine how high or low my sugar was, depending on how the tablet responded," said Gary.

“Traditional glucose monitoring uses finger pricking which can be quite painful for some patients. But now, glucose monitoring devices have been revolutionized and innovative technologies have come in, resulting in the development of CGMSs,” Dr. Michael Villa, immediate past president of the Philippine College of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism shared. 

“Then, years went by. I started finger pricking. And, I did that for a long time. In fact, my skin in my fingertips would start getting thick. When I would actually need to use my fingers for the touchscreen later on, sometimes, it would not recognize that. So, I had to use another set of fingers in order to do that,” as Gary continued his story.

Gary V on living freely with FreeStyle Libre

“The technology started advancing and I’m so thankful for that. All the more, it spurred me on to carry the advocacy and helping Filipinos living with diabetes,” Gary said.

FreeStyle Libre comes along and helped him finally live freely with his diabetes journey.

The FreeStyle Libre system is a new revolutionary way of glucose monitoring. It replaces the conventional way of measuring glucose using finger pricks.

Through strict monitoring, proper diet, and a healthy lifestyle, he has been living a full and active life since. Gary said that the Freestyle Libre CGM by Abbott makes it easy for him to ensure that his blood sugar is at healthy levels during the day.

The Freestyle Libre uses a discreet sensor that is attached to the back of the arm. This is then paired to a portable device. The sensor is easy to apply and lasts for up to 14 days. It is also water resistant so it can be worn even while bathing, swimming, and exercising.

Meanwhile, the reader can scan through clothing. Once paired with the device, the Freestyle Libre reader provides up to 8 hours of glucose monitoring per day with a trend arrow and graphs showing glucose levels throughout the monitoring period. It can also hold up to 90 days of glucose data which can be shown to doctors during the scheduled checkups.

“Diabetes is a condition that requires an almost 24-hour maintenance system. I’m just thankful for Abbott’s Freestyle Libre for allowing me to face life with a smile. The device has really helped me and my family in addressing diabetes and living life to the fullest,” Gary shared.

To know more details about FreeStyle Libre and learn how to manage your diabetes easily, visit their website.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
enjoying wonderful world